Thursday, February 4, 2016

Blood Orange and Red Papaya Relish

Good morning everyone, today’s blog will be a little shorter than normal. Have you ever gone to the supermarket, see something and just buy it out of reflex? Well, while I was at the groceries last week I saw red papayas and got them not knowing what I was going to do, but it didn’t matter. It wasn’t until today I opened my fridge and stared at it for five minutes before thinking of what to do. I took a look through my culinary artistry and figured let’s make a relish. Now relishes are slightly similar to chutney’s but they are a bit savory. I liked this not only because you could taste all the fruits but it wasn’t as sharp as I thought It would have been, and you get a slight garlic taste at the end.

As I was juicing the blood orange, it reminded me of being back in A Voce and making a vinaigrette in the morning. Nothing was better than seeing that rich deep red leak out of the orange. Today all I could do was stare at this blood orange juice in amazement.
Let’s get to making this relish now.

1 med Red Papaya (seeded & peeled)
1 Blood orange (halved)
½ Garlic Clove
1 Tbsp. Ground Mustard
¼ tsp Ground Chili
½ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup Sugar
1/8 tsp Kosher salt



Combine all ingredients in a food Processor, and chop. Once mixed add to a non reactive saucepot and bring it to a boil for 30 minutes. This will help cook out a bit of the harsh acid from the vinegar and the garlic flavor. Please stir it every once in a while. Don’t leave it sitting there to stick and possibly burn. Once this is done, cool it to room temperature then put in a jar and refrigerate.


2 comments: