Friday, February 19, 2016

Last minute meals: Spiced Potato Crema & Chicken

Do you ever just sit down and brainstorm about what you're going to make for lunch and eventually you come up with something that is simple and yummy. Then all of a sudden a light bulb blinks above your head and there you have it, a new post for your blog or Instagram?  I’m almost pretty sure everyone has, and honestly those are the times the dish comes out superbly. I’ve seen brainstorming result in amazing dishes being created, it has happened so many times in the restaurants I've worked in. 

I figured out what to do. I seasoned my chicken thighs & diced potato with salt & pepper and put them in a pan with some spicy mango salsa along with some bay leaves, dropped in nob of butter, poured some water then just left them there to cook.

As I leaned against the kitchen counter top, typing this story, the sun was setting and I was still brainstorming. Green! that was it. I dashed into the fridge and pulled out the most Spanish ingredient I had. The Jalapeno! But with what? I thought. I found some Italian parsley and said "yup, this will do". I got a pot of water going so I could blanch the parsley. Gave the jalapeno's a rough chop and waited. Standing up watching water come to a boil, definitely doesn't make it go any faster. 

I pureed the jalapeno with some oil until it was smooth then I boiled the parsley for 10 seconds and blanched them in an ice bath. Once it was cold I added it to the jalapeno and let it go in the blender for a bit. I didn't need it to be a perfect puree; Added salt and saved it in a container.

I didn't forget the chicken and potatoes, don't worry, they were already done by the time i checked on them, I separated starch from protein in two different containers. The potatoes then went into the blender( don't worry I have a magic bullet so I used a new top) added some water, a little touch of oil and let it go for 10 seconds, if that long. If you make it blend too long the puree would have a sticky, glue like texture.

In the end I plated my last minute dish idea, which turned out to be quite divine.   

Whether you are cooking at home or work, it's supposed to be fun, even if it’s a dish you’ve already made or something you want to do for an experiment. Keep cooking and remember - Food is life.



No comments:

Post a Comment