Sunday, September 25, 2016

Samke Harra Part 1: Fish Sauce


3 lbs. Fish Bones
1 Orange
2 Tomatoes
5 Stalks Celery
1 Onion
½ Bunch Thyme
2 Bay Leaf
5 Cloves Garlic
5 L Water
¼ Cup Tahini
1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper

What’s up everyone? I am sorry I have been gone for so long. I’m back and ready to hit you with recipes for the fall.

I have spent some time reading and looking around the internet for inspiration. I came across a dish called Samke Harra. I have never cooked this dish before in my life so I did some extensive reading before I even attempted it. To be honest I wish I had one of my friends around to give me a nod of approval, nonetheless I loved it and decided it was worth posting.  This is a two-part recipe, there is the fish sauce and then there is the fish itself.

The recipe has a very basic fish stock.  Usually when people make a sauce they take all the vegetables and bones out. While I was in New York the Chef at A Voce made lobster stock and blended everything in there and then put it through a strainer. I did something similar but I took the big bones out because I know fish doesn’t blend like lobster.

You are going to peel your onions and add them into the pot. Quarter your Oranges and Tomatoes, roughly chop your Celery. Add all other ingredients into the pot then pour in the water. Bring it to a boil then turn it down to a simmer. I let mine reduce by 1/2. Once it’s done, take the bones and oranges out. Try to keep all the veggies in there. Grab your blender, put all of the veggies and leftover fish inside. Now like all of my recipes only pour in enough of the stock to barely cover the vegetables. Puree until it’s smooth. Once finished, put it through a strainer so that it’s really smooth. If you don’t think the flavor is strong enough you can reduce it. Taste and see if it needs salt.


Grab your Tahini and measure a ¼ cup and add it slowly to the fish sauce. You may not need all of the Tahini. There should be a nice balance of both flavors in the sauce.


Keep it warm or let it cool down and reserve in a container it if you aren’t going to use it now.

Whats next ? Tomorrow I will have part 2 ready for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment