Tuesday, September 15, 2015

A book a week: Eating italy



Hey everyone! So, today I want to know what you read. I’ll show you what I keep close by when I’m ready to brainstorm, have an idea or I just down right need some kind of inspiration. Some of these books were what I got from school, they were gifts, or just good finds. We will talk about a book for everyday this week.

Lets get to talking.


Eating Italy by Jeff Michaud with David Joachim. I found this book in a BMV store on Bathurst. I gave it a quick flick through and I thought it was going to be a cool book. Jeff Michaud talks about going to Italy and learning so much from so many different regions of Italy. Its a great book with simple dishes and I think is good for you to have in your home or kitchen.

My favorite chapter is the first, its about the meats and charcuterie. Jeff spent his time working in a butcher shop in Paladina. He spent his early mornings learning from the best in the region, I'm not sure how many of you all are willing to do that just for knowledge. This is a great example of what being obsessed with what you do as an art. Butchering like anything you do takes loads of practice, skill and concentration, Jeff shows this in this book but you also learn that he has a lot of fun doing it which is what matters most.


The pictures of the dishes in this book are bright, vibrant and look yummy!

There is a recipe in this book that I keep staring at, when i get a chance i will do it and see how it comes out. Rabbit, some people don't like these little furry animals but the Chinese and Carib side of me only thinks food when I see a rabbit so this dish screams eat me when I see it. An oven roasted Rabbit Porchetta with a Pepperonata. Now Pepperonata is a common thing in Italian cuisine that I saw back in New York. It is so versatile and is addicting.




You get to have an idea of Jeff's personality and if this book doesn't make you want to get up and go to Italy just to try the food then I don't know what will. The Chef has got a great restaurant in Philli that has a great menu and has classes. If your in Philli I suggest checking it out. Go buy this book and have a good read, enjoy and see you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment